Church of Our Lady of the Exile
Vila Flor, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
The church was built by Friar André do Sacramento between 1743 and 1745. It is easy to imagine that this later construction replaced an original chapel built for the religious services of the settlement, which was created in 1700. In fact, the foundations of a chapel built prior to the current parish church were found close to the existing cross. The extremely simple church has a single nave and a chancel with an adjoining sacristy. The façade is composed of a triangular pediment and a belfry at the side. It has windows at the level of the choir, a single door and two low windows, as was common in the churches of missionary villages. On the side façade rising arches are evidence of the original plan, never fulfilled, for constructing a convent. The church has features representing so-called Jesuit architecture. The church was restored in 1980.