Cathedral

Cathedral

Lubango [Sá da Bandeira], Huíla, Angola

Religious Architecture

The Cathedral of Saint Joseph, a work of 1939 by the architect Fernando Batalha, was consecrated on the 27th July 1955 to seat of the diocese of Sá da Bandeira (Lubango) and later elevated on the 3rd February 1977 to the status of archdiocese of Lubango. The building follows the “modernized gothic” style, having two towers with pyramidal caps (with some elements of Art Deco influence). The Cathedral and the Cristo-Rei (Christ The King, built in the 1940s-1950s) are in the process of being classified.

Loading…