Parish Church of The Holy Name of Jesus
Daman [Damão/Damaun], Guzerate, India
Daman’s parish church was founded in 1557, but construction was only completed in 1603, the date indicated on the main entrance. The rectors of the Jesuit college of the Eleven Thousand Virgins administered the Daman stronghold and the parish church. The decisively Jesuit form of the church’s main entrance probably derives from these circumstances, as it is similar to the type used in Saint Paul’s of the Arches in Old Goa. A simple Doric order of two pairs of back-to-back columns frames the round-arched doorway and sustains a central window with triangular pediment. The church also has two side doors, one for the city’s main street to the east, and another to what would have been an old cloister (the parish was collegiate in the 18th century). The chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, in the nave to the left, has a retable also characteristic of Jesuit architecture from the last quarter of the 1500s. The three altars’ retables, the pulpit and the tabernacle are not the originals. They were brought from the Jesuit church’s college in 1779, due to the latter’s poor state of preservation. One of the bells also pertained to the Jesuit college. The parish church was raised to cathedral status in 1887, a year after the Daman diocese was created, and was annulled by the 1928 Concordata.