Machava, Maputo, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
Located in the region of Maputo, and dating from 1961, it was designed by João José Tinoco (1924-1983) in collaboration with Alberto Soeiro (1917-?). Of modern design and large scale, it consists of a long prismatic structure with dominant horizontal lines. It is composed of a prismatic rectangular volume for the wards, with verandas arranged in galleries on the east elevation and horizontal fenestration on the west, with a vertically exposed structure of pilotis that anchor it to the elevation of the land. The asymmetric character of the general design can be found in the partially covered terrace, in the protruding volume that includes the stairwell, lifts and chimney, in the location of the autonomous volumes, and the polygonal paving stones that distinguish the ground floor. It continues to serve as hospital, and the verandas on the main elevation have since been glazed.