Other Religious Buildings

Other Religious Buildings

São Tomé, São Tomé Island, São Tomé e Príncipe

Religious Architecture

Besides the Cathedral, other churches mark the city, the most interesting being the Church of Conception, near the centre, construction of which was commissioned by King Manuel between 1495 and 1521 and rebuilt in 1719, the Church of Saint John (former Church of Saint John the Baptist), built in 1562 near the coastal road to the west of the heart of the city, the Church of Good Jesus (with the original octagon-shaped body of the nave and interior space with tiles), and the Chapel of the Happy Birth (built around 1617), the last two located near the coastal road, west of the heart of the city; and the Chapel of Saint Sebastian, built within the Fortress Saint Sebastian in the early 17th century.

Loading…