Church of Our Lady of Glory
Varca, Goa, India
The Varca church was founded by the Jesuits in 1635 and took on its current form when it was rebuilt after 1700. It is actually an 18th century building, a church with single nave and false transept, long and wide, with a tile roof and articulated by semicircular niches with windows below and polygonal lintel windows above. The chancel had a vault with penetrations but was recently covered by a new vault. The awkward buttresses sustaining the south wall of the chancel indicate the existence of roof stability problems. The façade has three sections as well as two towers. The towers are topped by domes and skylights. The north tower (the façade is to the west) houses a rare two-storey gallery built in the 1800s or 1900s. The façade’s central section and chakra wing panels linking the lower elements are characteristically Goan, a late variation on themes experimented at Bom Jesus.