House and Chapel of the Colubandê Estate
São Gonçalo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Located in the parish of São Gonçalo, the Colubandê estate was one of the several sugar mills that occupied the banks of Guanabara Bay in the 18th century. That period saw the construction of houses along the same lines, with porches of Tuscan columns partially surrounding the building, supporting the hipped roof. The spread of this style created a common regional language of rural architecture in the vicinity of Guanabara Bay that is to be found nowhere else in Brazil. Colubandê is the best example of a series of surviving mills, which includes those of Capão do Bispo, Viegas, D’Água and Taquara. The house has a veranda running along the front and partially along the sides, and the wooden roof beams are directly supported by the Tuscan columns made of brick masonry. The front part with the veranda is built on a base that was used for habitation. At the back, bedrooms and service areas are arranged around an inner courtyard with a well, which is also surrounded by a veranda of Tuscan columns that are simpler than those on the façades. The chapel dedicated to Saint Anne is separated from the house, but still within the same walled precinct. It has a porch, a single tower, a nave and chancel. The altarpiece from the mid-18th century has three niches in which the images of Saint Anne, Saint Joachim and Saint Joseph stood. On the sides are tile panels featuring Saint Anne teaching (on the left) and Saint Anne and Saint Joachim (on the right). Historians associate 1760 with the most probable date for the construction of the complex.