Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows

Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows

Parati, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Religious Architecture

The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, close to the sea in Rua Fresca, was built at the initiative of Father António Xavier da Silva Braga and owes much to the efforts of the devoutly religious women of the local society. Facing the sea, the small chapel has a single nave, side aisles and a single tower, but the structure on the left indicates the unfulfilled aim of building a second tower. Despite having been started in 1800, it has a very archaic appearance, enhanced by its curved pediment, the dome on top of the tower and the almost complete absence of decorative elements on the façade. The decorative work above the lintels, the cornerpieces and pinnacles are all made of mortar. Only one cornerpiece and the door and window frames are made of stone. There is a particularly interesting side façade, which resembles a residential sobrado. This façade is notable for the simple balcony windows of the upper floor with their curved grilles made of carved wood. In addition to the high altar, the interior has two gilded and white carved altarpieces next to the crossing arch. The walls surrounding the churchyard were made to protect the church against the intrusion of the tides.

Loading…