National High School
Mindelo [Porto Grande], São Vicente Island, Cape Verde
Equipment and Infrastructures
The former São Vicente High School was the most important secondary school of this type during the colonial period in the islands and in pedagogical and cultural terms one of the most significant such institutions in Portuguese Africa for several decades. It was then the Gil Eanes High School, commonly called the Liceu da Pracinha do Palácio, due to its location by a small square with the Government Palace in front. After independence it was named after Jorge Barbosa and known as the Liceu Bedje or Liceu Velho. The building now houses services pertaining to the Ministry of Culture and was recently restored. It was built in 1917-1921 in the area of the former barracks dating to 1873; a new floor was added in 1927-1932. The façade is marked by 19th century elements with round-arched bays and fascia framing a group of four windows with the tripartite design, recalling secondary shools in Lisbon, by Ventura Terra, recalling secondary schools in Lisbon.