Parish Church of Saint Amaro
General Câmara, Santo Amaro, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
A work of inestimable value built in 1787, the Church of Saint Amaro has a single nave with a choir and chancel separated by the crossing arch and floral decoration in accordance with the popular taste. On the side of the chancel are the sacristy and mortuary chapel that was used by the Brotherhood of Saint Amaro. The church has a gable roof, but its originality lies in its façade, which is made up of three bodies: the central body is the front of the church, while the two lateral bodies, which seen from the front give the impression of being towers, are in reality merely thick walls that serve as the bases for belfries and as two buttresses juxtaposed to the central body, an identical situation to the church at Viamão. A large portal decorated with decorations in lias is the only access to the church in the façade. Three stained glass windows, which are not the original ones, illuminate the choir on the upper floor. Its architectural expression was achieved through the advantageous proportions of the bases of the bell towers. The areas of these bases are larger when compared proportionally to the planes and surfaces of the central body, giving the impression that they are built on a larger scale than the rest of the building. The central body has a triangular pediment with curved edges, forming a jutting cymatium with three layers of mouldings that follow the shaping of the surface. The wooden high altar and side altars probably underwent alterations in the 19th century. The carved and gilded woodwork has been done in the popular style. The church underwent a long process of restoration between 2006 and 2008 and some of its original aspects were recovered. It has been classified since 1998 as Brazilian national heritage, together with the thirteen other buildings and the town square.