Urban ensemble on Praça Nova (Later Serpa Pinto, now Amílcar Cabral)
Mindelo [Porto Grande], São Vicente Island, Cape Verde
Equipment and Infrastructures
This square was built on the north side of the city after 1895 (to replace Dom Luís Square, which was occupied by more port facilities in 1891) and marks its northward expansion. The garden is flanked by several turn-of-the-century buildings (the former Rádio Voz de São Vicente; the New Building, an English construction from 1907-1910, now a hospital). It includes the 1920s gazebo, 1931 kiosk, and the monument to Camões, as well as the monument honouring the transatlantic flight by Gago Coutinho and Sacadura Cabral.