Bank Nacional Ultramarino (present day Bank of Mozambique)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
Inaugurated on the 9th September 1954 it was designed by engineer José Figueiredo Correia do Vale (1907-?). It was built in late Art Deco model, monumental and heavy in appearance, with vertical lines emphasized by the regularity of the pilasters.
A contemporary description presents the building as follows: “The structure is entirely made of reinforced concrete (2,200 cubic metres of this material were used) and rests on 280 stakes, also in reinforced concrete. The three fronts are covered externally with granulite, which conveys the idea of a cladding in granite ashlars. The roof is insulated with three layers of material, after being waterproofed with ‘laytkold’. Besides, for the first time “vermiculite’ was used in the constructions of this city, mainly aimed at protecting the inside of the building against the intensity of the sunlight of a tropical climate. Around 250 tons of iron was used in the construction, not including the cast iron of the sewerage system. A large basement houses the strongboxes. The offices related to the public were placed in the ground floor. The second floor was occupied by other services of the bank and an area for future needs, resulting from the expansion and development of the bank. The administration, inspection, management, Chief of the Departments and bookkeeping were established on the third floor. The access to the upper floors was facilitated by two magnificent and powerful lifts which cost approximately 500 contos”. (Diário de Moçambique, newspaper, Beira, 09.09.1954, pp. 6-7).