Standard Bank (later Standard Totta)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
It is located at Dr. Araújo de Lacerda Square (present day Metical Square), near the House of Portugal and Alentejo House. It was the city first brick construction erected in 1896 (rather than the pre-fabricated metal structures). It served as the seat of the Standard Bank, when it was established in Beira in the 20th century. It is a characteristic work of eclectic architecture, following a classical model, with two floors, displaying galleries all around, on each level, with semi-circular arcades. At the time, it corresponded to the intended prestigious image of the bank.