National Bank of Angola
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
This is the building that best symbolizes the neoclassical and revivalist architecture of the Estado Novo in Luanda. It is notable not only for its architecture, but also for its monumentality, grandeur and richness. It was concluded in 1956 and planned by the architect Vasco Regaleira, who describes it as follows: “our intention was to create a building which, in architectural terms, would integrate into the 1700s, of which Luanda has some examples, and provide a model of the exceptional conditions offered by our typical architecture in its adaptation to the colonial climate [...] so well represented in the old part of old Luanda, without altering the proportions of the Ionic Order module”. The entrance hall has a monumental staircase in marble with Ionic columns of three distinct orders which support a drum and cupola. The interior is embellished with tiles that represent the arrival of the Portuguese in the kingdoms of Kongo and of N’gola. From a symbolic/expressive perspective the building has a great visual impact. It is located at Avenue 4 de Fevereiro no. 135-169, and was classified by dispatch no. 27, of the 18th April 1995.