Anthropology Museum (former two-storey Manor House)
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
This is a building dating from the late 18th century located in the Coqueiros Quarter, downtown. It became a model for the noble house in Luanda, representative of the classic rich man’s house. The building features an intricate and open plan, typical of the 18th century, with a ground-plan that develops around two courtyards, one for service and another for social purposes. Its façade has five openings on the upper floors, a central door flanked by two windows and an attic floor aligned with the main door, which marks out and enhances the main entrance to the building. The bay windows are a very strong element on the façade due to the carved stonework and the elaborate wrought iron railings. The multiple hipped roofs covered with curved tiles, reminiscent of Portuguese “scissor roofs” is another interesting element of this building. It was originally the residence of a rich trader; in 1961 it was used as the seat of the Diamond Company of Angola. Presently it houses the Anthropology Museum. It was classified as Architectural Heritage by provincial directive no. 7.534, published in Boletim Oficial de Angola no. 44, on the 29th October 1952.