Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
The building of the Custom House is located at Visconde Pinheiro Street. It was built on the orders of governor Francisco de Sousa Coutinho (1764-1772), becoming one emblematic work of Pombaline reforms. The most notable element on the original front façade was a triangular pediment whose side apexes terminated in curlecuess. It was divided into two-storeys on a rectangular plan, stretching around a large central courtyard. The building underwent changes over the course of time. In 1959 it was restored/altered and divided into two equal sections in which the Property and Geographic Services and the Custom Services operated, roles that have been maintained up to the present. It was acknowledged as a Building of Public Interest by directive no. 536, published in Boletim Oficial do Governo Geral de Angola, no. 30, 1st series, of the 1st July 1951.