Church of Our Lady of Nazareth
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
Its construction was commissioned in 1664 by governor André Vidal de Negreiros in order to fulfil a vow to the Virgin, possibly made during a storm that took place during his journey to Angola. Nevertheless, it dedicated to victory in the Battle of Ambuíla as the tile panels inside attest. In baroque style but simultaneously very geometrical, the church has a solid austere composition with the predominance of horizontal lines. The façade was possibly designed to be flanked by two towers which were never built but were mentioned in the original plan; it is topped by a triangular pediment and oculus and enhanced by arcaded side galleries and porches, a feature that shows it was a pilgrimage church. It includes a small belfry tower on the epistle’s side and is bordered by pilasters capped by pinnacles. It is small in size, consisting of a single nave, chancel and side niches embellished with Solomonic columns. The church is located on the coastal road and preserves its original outline. It was classified as a National Monument by directive no. 135, of 28th June 1932.