Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The foundation stone of this building was laid on the 4th August 1907 in the presence of the royal Portuguese prince Luís Filipe. It was concluded on the 31st May 1911. In the classical style, common to the School of Arts and Crafts and the Standard Bank, Beira’s Courthouse also displays, on each of the two floors, galleries with arcades of Roman arches, and it is topped by a parapet with a balustrade. It clearly resembles the public buildings in Portuguese Macau built around the same period (e.g. the ensemble of buildings at Leal Senado Square).