Church of Misericórdia
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
The Church of Misericórdia is connected to the establishment of the Misericórdias of Angola, in 1575, 1589 and 1660, respectively, in Luanda, Massangano and Benguela. This church, along with the building of the institution forms an important ensemble in the uptown on the axis that linked the Governors’ Palace to the former Convent of Saint Joseph. The date of construction of the original church, which has disappeared, is unknown; it was replaced by a new building in 1679. The church has an extremely simple façade, consisting of a single bay separated by a projecting cornice, topped by a curved pediment whose centre is marked by a window that may have replaced an oculus. It belongs to the recurring models of Portuguese plain architecture. It is presently closed to the public and was acknowledged as a Building of Public Interest through provincial directive no. 6.777.