Madgaon [Margão], Goa, India
Equipment and Infrastructures
Construction of the New Market buildings that stand today must have begun around 1906-7, possibly in two different phases. The market’s move to the southern area of Margao had probably been envisaged since the early 20th century, given that municipal plans in 1902 already defined the area south of the road to Aquem up to the railway line as being the Dom Afonso Market. But the date when the market began functioning at this site is not known; it is certain that it never completely replaced the market north of the town and that the two coexisted, known as the Old Market and the New Market. The first construction phase corresponds to the two buildings closest to the City Council. These single-floor bar constructions define a commercial street where the gallery’s round columns mark its image. These were the only market buildings built until 1911-13. The second phase corresponds to the New Market block and was under construction in 1914 The second phase corresponds to the New Market block and was under construction in 1914; the work was completed in 1916. Two blocks with two floors with services on the upper floor define the market’s main façade and its entries from Rua Francisco Luís Gomes. The other eight volumes have one floor and were situated inside the block, arranged symmetrically. These were simple constructions, with some concessions to the climate. In the two-floor volumes all attention was centred on the entry areas, marked by the use of geometric decorative elements. At present, all the outside space has been covered, making the inside a maze of shops where it is hard to discern the original structures.