Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The original location for the jail was beside the Courthouse. Some works were even done in 1907 (when the foundation stone was laid by Portuguese prince Luís Filipe). The site was not convenient because it was too small, as was later stated. A new site was then chosen near the Chiveve, next to the Arsenal. It was planned and built by the Direção de Obras Públicas (Public Works Departement) and concluded in 1922. It is a work along revivalist lines, following the so-called English-influenced “Romanesque-Gothic-Prison” model, built on two floors with semi-circular arch window openings and battlements with lookouts framing the parapet.