Benguela, Benguela, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
The Cine-Theatre building is a “stage of memories” for the city. Designed by the architect Fernando Batalha it was the first building of its kind to be built in the city in the 1940s-1950s. The façade is of local stone. The auditorium initially seated 1,300 people, with balcony, stalls, and boxes. The second storey had a reception room. It was inaugurated on the 10th June 1952, being used as a cinema and theatre. It was the only cinema until the inauguration of the Cine-Benguela and of Esplanade Kalunga. Closed in the 1980s-1990s, it reopened in 2004 after refurbishement works, paid for by a citizen of Benguela.