Benguela, Benguela, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
Begun in 1893, it is a stone structure located in the Pelourinho Square, inaugurated by Norton de Matos in 1921. It follows the 19th century public building model on neoclassical lines. It has two floors behind a balanced façade with Ionic pilasters and with a straight pediment in the centre. In this central volume, each floor has three bays with semi-circular arches. Those of the upper floor open onto the main balcony. The whole building is topped by a balustrade.