Benguela, Benguela, Angola
Purchased in 1880 from a trader, this two-storey 19th century chalet in adobe, wood and with a roof with multiple inclines, was surrounded by verandas and a balustrade and had a raised floor at the centre. In an advanced state of decay it was rebuilt and enlarged between 1940 and 1950, under the supervision of architect Fernando Batalha. The appearance of a Portuguese-style manor house was conveyed at the period. It remains the seat of the present government of the Province of Benguela.