Benguela, Benguela, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
The structure was built in 1870, financed by the traders of Benguela. It is a stone building, measuring 40 metres at the front, facing the sea and 75 metres at the back with two warehouses with wooden rafters that were destroyed by termites before being replaced by iron beams and zinc roofs in 1914. The bridge/pier was built in 1876, providing access to the steamers of the Royal Mail and an intense port movement until it gave way to the Port of Lobito in the early 20th century.