Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
Located in Costa Serrão Street. The preliminary plan was publicly disseminated in May 1953, in a design by architect Castro Freire. It was owned by the Empresa de Edificações da Beira, work began in November 1953 and it was inaugurated on the 31st May 1956. A document of the time describes it as follows: “The building, divided into two bodies, features a façade 60 metres wide and 18 metres high in the shape of an L; the bottom of this L is occupied by a ground floor bar and by a tea room on the first floor. The main body of the construction is occupied by the auditorium which is oval, 50 metres long and 20 metres wide at its greatest.
The auditorium has 640 stall seats and 360 on the first and second balconies. The entry into the “Nacional” can be made through a well-designed foyer which will be furnished with display cases and armchairs and from where you can ascend to the first floor foyer by means of a luxurious staircase. It is also worth mentioning that both the foyer and hall are paved with marble.”