Pescamar Building (former seat of Trans-Zambezia Railways)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The building where the Pescamar enterprise is now located at the Caminhos de Ferro de Mozambique Square. The former building, dating from 1907 was made of wood and zinc supported by pillars. Later a veranda was added (1913). In December 1923, based on a plan by S. Campbell Bayard, the existing building was erected for the company of Johnson & Fletcher. This would later become the headquarters of Trans-Zambezia Railways. In 1957 the first floor underwent some alterations. The building was taken over by Pescamar, and was restored by architect Francisco Ivo, including a complete transformation of the ground floor. He was also responsible for the industrial nave, built in 2004.