Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
It is located in a formerly swampy area, between Aruângua, Correia de Brito, Gorjão and Jaime Ferreira Streets. Initially, it was not more than a “few stalls”. The erection of a new structure, more suited to the needs of the time, was decided in 1898. This new building was inaugurated on December 1899, being named Mercado Gorjão in honour of governor Gorjão de Moura.
A description on the eve of the inauguration, describes it as follows: “The market occupies 1,372 square metres and is entirely bordered by streets. It has 12 brick buildings for butcher’s, grocer’s shops, etc. At present six of these houses are rented to butchers; the remaining are occupied by services dependent on the Direction of the Urban Departments of the Company and on the Market inspectorate. These houses built around the market leave a covered central area where stalls for the sale of fruit, vegetables, fish, poultry, etc. are placed. Presently there are 33 stalls, all occupied during the market’s busiest hours. Apart from these, there are also specific spaces for the sale of certain goods. The houses are rented month after month, its price ranging from five to ten pounds depending on the area and location. The wood stalls, with zinc covered platforms, are rented by the day or on a monthly basis. A fish stall is rented by 200 réis each day; other stalls have a daily charge of 120 réis” (Costa, pp. 317-318).
As it was impossible to deal with the excessive concentration of people and goods, on the 16th June 1932 it was decided to adapt the “indigenous refectory”, (which functioned on the bank of the Chiveve next to the former Electric Power Station) into indigenous stalls “strictly aimed at fish selling”. It was inaugurated on the 22nd May 1933. On August 1964 it would be the subject of deep changes which included the construction of a first floor.