Beira Clube (present day Branch of Millennium BIM Bank)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
After several attempts in 1896 and in 1898, the Beira Clube, also known as Clube Inglês (English Club) was officially created on the 6th July 1899. The founders decided to rent the house where it had always functioned, located in Luís de Camões Square. This was made in wood and zinc on two floors probably owned by William Folley (later on, it passed into the hands of the Rhodesia Trading Co., Ltd.). Sometime prior to 1923 it was rebuilt in bricks and mortar. The Beira Clube also attempted to obtain land from the Portuguese government for the construction of its headquarters, intention permanently denied because it was regarded as a simple “recreational society”, without any commercial purpose (1931). By the late 1960s it had fallen into a quiet decay merely being used for a monthly “social night” for the 37 partners living in Beira (the Clube had more 24 partners in the neighbouring countries). The club occupied part of the first floor (the other served as the residence for the barman Indo-Portuguese family), whereas the ground floor included several commercial establishments and an architecture studio. The building was refurbished and reclassified as a branch of the Millennium BIM Bank. In architectural terms, it is marked by a general classical model, with a system of double columns supporting the sheltered ground-level portico and, on the upper floor, a veranda which encircles all façades. In formal terms, the most evident identifying element is the conical turret at one of the corners.