Almoxarifado (Artist’s House current Headquarters)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
This was the city of Beira first masonry building crected in 1897 where some state-owned structures of wood and zinc had previously stood. The almoxarifado (depot) was located there until 1903 when it was “provisionally” relocated to the Post Office division (the building in which it was burnt down in the Beach Hotel fire in January 1902), and remained there until 1929. In 1906, the Post Office director decided that the ‘four doors facing east’ should be converted into glazed windows. He also proposed a more radical change, with the addition of a first floor as a residence for the employees of the office. By the mid-1960s the building was again in the hands of the warehouse. Historian Alexandre Lobato, in an effort to safeguard the building, considered establishing there a branch of the Historical Archives of Mozambique. There was also an attempt to transfer the Municipal Museum there, separating it from the Library (The Calouste Gulbenkian Library, inaugurated on the 4th January 1965) where it was then housed. Recently, works have been initiated to convert the building into a commercial establishment. In an attempt to avoid irreparable damages, it was transferred into the hands of the association Casa do Artista in order to serve as its headquarters.