Church of Our Lady of Fátima
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
This church replaced another with the same dedication inaugurated in May 1952, to a design by Paula Campos of the Department of Public Works of Manica and Sofala. It is located near the Cemetery of Saint Elizabeth, with the entrances for devotees and the belfry fronting Comandante Diogo de Sá Street. According to Notícias newspaper, of Maputo, on the 21st February 1968, p. 5, “the church, covering an area of 900 square meters, has the shape of an amphitheatre, the main entrance stands opposite the assembly where the baptismal font stood. In front of the assembly at the back stood the high altar and, behind it, on a higher level, the tabernacle. To the right of the high altar and left of the assembly stands the pulpit and, incorporated in the assembly, the choir. Still, on the right of the assembly stands an altar dedicated to Our Lady of Fátima. The sacristy, located to the left of the church, has two adjoining rooms ‘so that parochial life can be performed as usual”. After the conclusion of the church started the second phase, which included the construction of the Parochial Centre of Our Lady of Fátima. The plans and technical specifications were drawn up by architect Julião Azevedo and engineer Nogueira Leite, respectively. The first stone of this church was laid on the 12th May 1967.