Church of Manga or Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Located at Alto da Manga, it was inaugurated on the 18th August 1957. It was built on a land donated by António Martinotti, and had a seating capacity of 600 people. The church displayed a nave 40 metres long, and the structure had a total of 54 metres, including a vault with 17 metres. A description of the period presents it as follows: “The nave has a parabolic arch structure. On the main façade, the door is placed to the right and divided into two sections. On the section to the right, over the entrance, there is an exterior pulpit surmounted by a statue of Our Lady and with a surprisingly effective rear panel in polychrome ceramic. The left section of the façade is composed of niches with stained glass. To the left of the façade there will be a separate baptistery, which rather than the tower will be surmounted by a cross; the tower will contain electronically operated bells” (Diário de Moçambique, newspaper, Beira, 27.01.1955, pp. 1 and 5). It was designed by architect João Afonso Garizo do Carmo (1917-1974) with modern lines, very innovative and original, inspired by the Brazilian architecture of the time, with a parabolic body and a side tower of abstract design (evoking the Saint Francis Church of Pampulha, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, by Niemeyer).