Cathedral of Our Lady of the Rosary (or Cathedral of Beira)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
The first stone of the church was laid by the bishop of Epifânia, on the 25th October 1900, on the site of Beira’s first cemetery. It would become the Cathedral of Beira several decades later, being inaugurated in 1925. The foundations of the nave and high altar include stones from the Fortress of Saint Cajetan of Sofala. The building is designed in neo-Gothic style with a central tower topped with a spire in imitation of a French Gothic style that was popularized in the early 20th century (also to be seen in the church of Reguengos de Monsaraz, Portugal). It corresponds to the city first period and, therefore its modest scale and the revivalist option result from that epoch and context. It was elevated to cathedral status by the time of the creation of the diocese in 1940.