Chapel of Saint John the Baptist
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
In 1893, in the most pleasant place in the village, the first church – the Chapel of Saint John the Baptist – was built on the initiative of the Police Corps; it was a small wood and zinc structure and was inaugurated the same year on the 5th October. In 1898 it became the main church of the parish with the dedication to Our Lady of the Rosary. The chapel kept open for worship until January 1906, being demolished in 1908, except the tower (a wood, zinc and stone masonry construction) which was converted and used for some years as the Meteorological Observatory headquarters, previously established in Tower of Chiveve. The building was later used for other purposes. The tower is presently in ruins. In 1972 it was listed as a Building of Public Interest.