Royal Iron Factory

Royal Iron Factory

Nova Oeiras, Kwanza, Angola

Equipment and Infrastructures

More than two centuries later, only ruins remain but they are still impressive. According to Batalha, “two sections of the Luínha dam, the 22-arch aqueduct, approximately 118 metres long, which brought the water necessary to operate the engines, a large compartment for hydraulic wheels, a furnace, a large iron whorkshop with three storage houses and a channel for draining water”. Near the factory, a town named Nova Oeiras was built in the 18th century, aimed at housing the craftsmen and workers at the foundry. There was also the construction of a church, a royal factory and other public buildings of which only ruins remain. In 1925 the ensemble was rediscovered and classified as a monument. In 1972 some ruins were excavated and traces of the town of Nova Oeiras were identified while the masonry walls of the dam were partially restored. The current state of this ensemble is unknown.

Loading…