Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception (Our Lady of Muxima)
Muxima, Kwanza Sul, Angola
Of a rectangular plan and saddleback roof, it is made of stone and lime and has a belfry tower. Fairly wide, it has a sacristy and room on the first floor, suitable for parochial meetings. The high altar bears the image of the patron saint. It is located in the town by the river, on a small square which also includes the administrative buildings. Both the church and fortress were acknowledged as monuments in 1924. Built in the 17th century of very simple design and supported by huge buttresses on the outer part. There is a regular pilgrimage to the church which is still very active with a great popular tradition, widespread over the territory. In fact, the cult of Our lady of Muxima has historical roots, being associated to the social ills that affected the population: apart from slavery, famine and drought back in the 19th century, sleeping sickness devastated the Kissama region up to the 1940s leaving deep marks on its people.