Muxima, Kwanza Sul, Angola
Initially built in 1581, it was rebuilt in a new location by governor João Furtado de Mendonça in 1599, and besieged by the Dutch in 1646; it was reconstructed in 1655. The arch at the entrance bears a headstone with an inscription. Shaped in an irregular pentagon, it is composed of three bastions for artillery where six ancient cannon protected the walls. Inside, there were two houses used as the guardhouse, the arsenal of the Mobile Company and the gunpowder magazine. Access was made through a stone paved ramp. Since 1924, it has been a National Monument.