Equipment and Infrastructures

Equipment and Infrastructures

Massangano, Kwanza Norte, Angola

Equipment and Infrastructures

The town expanded built outside the fortress walls, where two imposing buildings in stone and masonry were erected: the courthouse and jail on a rectangular plan with three arches on the main façade built over a wall; and the town hall, a “simple and solid” single-storey building with façades pierced by doors and windows, a common model in the 19th century. There is an allusion in 1652 to the Capuchin hospital built with the aim at evangelizing the kingdom of Matamba. The Misericórdia was built in 1660. It encompassed a chapel, hospital and other buildings. Only ruins remain of this cluster which must have been magnificent. It was destroyed by fire in 1815. On the bank of the river, the ruins of the harbour still display the stone pillars that supported the pier.

Loading…