Parish Church of Our Lady of Victory
Massangano, Kwanza Norte, Angola
Among several churches and chapels whose corresponding brotherhoods served the free inhabitants and slaves, this church built in stone and lime with roofing tiles, stood out. It displayed rich decoration and had a fine monstrance and images. It benefitted from several restorations, the last one in 1938. It still rises in its rectangular plan, supported on the outside by monumental abutments and with an imposing belfry. This is where the first governor of Angola was probably buried in 1589. Rebuilt in the 17th century, it has been a National Monument since 1923.