Luanda International Airport (former General Craveiro Lopes Airport)
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
Planned by Francisco Keil do Amaral (1910-1975) in the late forties (since 1947), it was officially inaugurated in a ceremony headed by the president of the Republic of Portugal, general Craveiro Lopes, on the occasion of his visit to Angola in 1954.
The external area of the air terminal consists of the conjunction of elegant longitudinal blocks and an asymmetrical composition including, notably, the vertical prism of the control tower, built at the end of the square that gives onto the avenue that connects the airport to downtown. The interior includes a series of spaces of different heights connected by long staircases and a wall fresco with African motifs by the Angolan painter Neves e Sousa.
The building has undergone some changes in its exterior volumetry as well as in the functional organization and design of its interiors.