Ensemble of the Commercial Association of the Plateau of Benguela and Bank of Angola
Huambo [Nova Lisboa], Huambo, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
A work from the 1940s, the seat of the Associação Comercial do Planalto de Benguela (Commercial Association of the Plateau of Benguela), as in other cities in Angola, featured a neo-traditional and classically-oriented style with a volumetry, façade, staircase and large rooms that, surpassing the Governor’s Palace in magnificence, reflected the importance of trade on the life of the colony. Along with the Bank of Angola it defined the central area. It was the temporary seat of the high school (created in 1956). Following independence it became the provincial seat of the mpla but, today, a part of it has been granted to a private bank. The Bank of Angola building is in an affirmative neo-traditional style, symmetrical and on two floors, with exaggeratedly high pinnacles on the roof. It can be considered a significant example of the Estado Novo’s neo-Baroque style.