Cine-Theatre São Jorge (present day Cultural Centre of Universidade Pedagógica)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The Cine-Theatre originally was property of the Paraskeva siblings (Nicolau, Cleo and João). It was designed by the architect João Afonso Garizo do Carmo (1917-1974). Inaugurated on the 17th November 1954, it displays artworks by the sculptor Arlindo Rocha and by the ceramicist Jorge Garizo do Carmo. Built in an area of urban expansion, it was the first major theatre of Beira and one of the pioneering works of modern architecture in the city. It is composed of a trapezoidal body in the shape of a fan, which corresponds to the auditorium, set obliquely to the southern corner of the former Almirante Reis Square, preceded by two smaller convex bodies, including the support areas, which intersect with each other in an organically expressionistic arrangement of volumes. It is built in concrete and steel. The main façade is marked by a horizontal double-height bay, framed by a projected moulding and shielded by a brise-soleil of vertical blades, all giving emphasis to the building’s public role.