Praia [Praia de Santa Maria], Santiago Island, Cape Verde
Equipment and Infrastructures
Several public buildings are noteworthy for their 19th century architecture, among them the Town Hall, here seen in a 1993 photo, located by same square as the church; the current building was completed in 1860. Others include Saint Ferdinand’s Hospital (foundation stone laid in 1841, endowed with interesting natural ventilation systems); the Market, whose construction was planned in 1873 after functioning at various sites over the centuries – its metal structure bears the date 1929; the former Military Quarters, an assertive revivalist building due to its location and size, situated near the Government Palace; and the so-called African Theatre, in a private building, which is included in an 1888 description of the city.
Also noteworthy are the old Art Deco Rádio Clube building, which later housed the Bank of Cape Verde (in the 1990s), located where the main street meets the Town Hall square, west of the latter; the Palace of Culture, occupying a residential-type structure with three floors and covered galleries in the interior patio, located on the city’s main street and opening onto the square; and the Praia Ethnographic Museum, in an old high-ceilinged single-storey private residence which belonged to Bento Rodrigues Fernandes, built in the late 18th or early 19th century.