Commercial Association (Município Square)
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The first steps towards the construction of the existing building were made during 1952. It aimed at replacing a former one built in 1923-1924. The delays in the construction were due to the need to obtain the necessary funding, initially granted by the Bank Nacional Ultramarino which proved to be insufficient, requiring the request of a new loan, this time from the Bank Caixa Económica de Moçambique. The public competition for the presentation of a preliminary project for the building was launched on February 1955, and the definitive project was approved on the 17th September 1956. The contract was entrusted to the Companhia de Construções de Moçambique. A work by architect Paulo de Melo Sampaio (1926-1968) of modern design from a plan of 1956-1957, it has a cubic body resting on pilotis, with the main façade in a delicate work with brise-soleils, strip-verandas and the lettering of the institution at the top of the flat corner surface. It was inaugurated by the Minister of Overseas Affairs, Adriano Moreira, in 1961.