Quay and Customs House
Praia [Praia de Santa Maria], Santiago Island, Cape Verde
Equipment and Infrastructures
Located in the lower part of town by the sea, this construction dates to around 1880. The quay was one of the city’s most important public works. Only part of the stone structure of the previous São Januário Quay (then leading to the majestic staircase up to Plateau), which may have been an early construction from the 18th century, survives; the rest was affected by a road landfill. The Customs House building later housed the National Historical Archive. In 1993 the ensemble appeared as shown in the photo.