Parish Church of Our Lord Jesus (Triunfo)
Triunfo, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
According to some authors, the building of the Church of Our Lord Jesus began in 1757, the year of the founding of the parish at Forquilha where the River Taquari flows into River Jacuí, which would later be named Triunfo. For other authors, the building work began in 1765, although there are no documents to prove this. As far as the designer of the project is concerned, the most reliable indications point to the name of the military engineer Manuel Vieira Leão, who was in Taquari, near Triunfo, in 1764. The evidence points to the similarities between the floor plans and façades of this church and the parish church of Rio Grande, another project designed by Vieira Leão. The floor plan of the parish church of Triunfo features an extremely deep chancel, nearly the same size as the nave, and very narrow side sacristies. The floor plan, however, is identical to that of Rio Grande. On the other hand, the façade has two bell towers, standing on either side of a triangular pediment without a base, similar to the one found in the Church of Saint Peter in Rio Grande. The towers were built at different times. One dates back to 1765, while the other is from 1872, but the dates have since been removed and nowadays we do not know which one is the older. Over the years, the church has undergone various alterations without any technical guidance, ranging from a new roof to the replacement of the original altars and the ceiling of the nave. This church has no legal protection regarding its preservation.