Lat: -12.629232013899000, Long: -38.680593000504000
São Francisco do Conde
Historical Background and Urbanism
This town was built on land granted to Fernão Rodrigues Castello Branco in 1559, who donated his property in the following year to Francisco de Sá, the son of the third Governor General, who built the Real de Sergipe sugar plantation in 1563. On his death, the land was inherited by his sister, Dona Felipa de Sá, the wife of the Count of Linhares. She later donated the Real do Conde plantation to the Jesuits from Santo Antão in Lisbon. In 1655, the Benedictines took possession of the Laje estate, which had been donated to them by Dona Catharina Álvares, the wife of Balthazar Barbosa de Araújo. The São Bento de Sergipe do Conde sugar plantation was built on this land and was converted into the Imperial Agriculture Institute of Bahia in the 19th century. In 1666, the Benedictines purchased more land from Balthazar Barbosa de Araújo and built the sugar mill and Convent of Our Lady of Brotas. In 1629, Gaspar Pinto dos Reis and his wife donated land in the area of the existing town to the Franciscans, who began building a house and chapel there. The convent was built between 1630 and 1649 and the community that grew around it built the Church of Saint Gonsalo in 1678 as their parish church. Dom João de Lencastre raised the settlement to the status of a town in 1698, immediately after the towns of Jaguaripe (1697) and Cachoeira (1698) were created. The town was raised to the status of a city in 1938. However, the municipality is now suffering decline as a result of the administrative dismemberment of the district and the sugar crisis.
Equipment and Infrastructures