Lat: -15.124892057779000, Long: 39.256616968259000
Historical Background and Urbanism
Nampula is the most relevant city in the northern interior of Mozambique. It is some hours away from the Island of Mozambique by road. Located inland, to the east of the island, it replaced it in importance and took over its administrative functions in the first half of the 20th century. The city developed as a modern centre of regional connection between the small coastal urban core of the Island, created in the 16th century, and the new western border – that of the Nyasaland (present day Malawi), a British colonial region from the late 19th century, the result of a more recent colonization and settlement. Along with its role as railway connection and administrative centre, it became the capital of the district from 1935 onwards. In the 1960s-1970s, its centre formed a grid-shaped urban fabric, composed of a series of parallel avenues and streets of straight layout, arranged approximately in the north/south direction. This road system emerged from the original core of the city around the railway station, connecting it with the roundabouts and squares to the south (the most important is the one that serves the Hospital). Also in the south, the Luís de Camões Street bordered the above-mentioned grid (at a 45-degree angle), and, in the western section, a larger square encompassed the Cathedral and the Town Hall. Nampula saw significant development in the 1950s-1960s, first because of the economic growth of the surrounding region, then with the Colonial War; there were some important barracks in the vicinity and it was the seat of the Military Region. The urban expansion can be seen in the image of the most central avenue, Marechal Carmona, as it was called, with a central forested stripe and flanked by buildings in design of the 1960s, with elevations of three floors and commerce on the ground floor. Architect Bernardino Ramalhete drew up the Plano de Urbanização de Nampula (Urbanization Plan of Nampula) in 1962. We can mention, as a sign of the architectural renewal that resulted from this urban growth, the plan for a series of tower blocks of apartments for the city dating from 1970, by architect Francisco Conceição Silva. However, this plan was not implemented. Monuments and Statuary Worth mentioning is the monument to Neytel D’Abreu (Neutel de Abreu), by sculptor Euclides Vaz located in a broad forested area with a curvilinear prismatic podium bearing an inscription referring to the hero: “1871-1946 Captain-General of Macuana”. It was built before 1966.
Equipment and Infrastructures