Casa de Ferro (Iron House)
Maputo [Lourenço Marques], Maputo, Mozambique
Built in Belgium, it was bought by the government to serve as the residence of the governor-general of Mozambique in 1882. Now reassembled at the Vasco da Gama Garden (present day Tunduru Garden), this pre-fabricated building, entirely made of metal, used to be located on 5 de Outubro Avenue, when it was leased to the Dona Amélia Institute in 1893. The house was reassembled in 1966. It was planned to install an archaeology museum. It was recently used as the headquarters of the Cultural Heritage Archives of Mozambique.
José Manuel Fernandes