Town Hall or Provincial Government
Luanda [São Paulo de Luanda], Luanda, Angola
Equipment and Infrastructures
The construction of the Town Hall building of Luanda started in the late 19th century (1890) according to a design by Artur Gomes da Silva, the work being concluded in 1911. It has a façade in classical style with a central pediment and round-arched bays. It follows the tradition of public buildings with a pre-fabricated structure in iron. It stands on the Mutamba Square, establishing a connection with the terrain that conveys a sense of magnificence and monumentality. The ground plan is developed around an inner courtyard lit from above which rises a magnificent and sculptural inner staircase entirely made of wrought iron, a decorative and distributive element covered in a structure of pillars and ogival metal arches which convey a sense of singularity, elegance and lightness. It was acknowledged as a National Monument by a dispatch published in Diário da República no. 205, of 31st August 1981. It is still used for the same purpose.